Our medical program is practicable, affordable and unique basing by the learning experience and satisfaction of past participants. This program is suited to aspiring medical students. The important element is that one needs to have a keen interest in the medical profession and be actively working towards joining medical school. Academic qualifications for admission to our program will vary based on school system of your respective country. Our program provides real life exposure of what it means to be a doctor, which is critically important for someone contemplating a medical career.
Applicants should consider volunteering at a local hospital or clinic to gain practical experience in the health professions – this suggestion is obviously applicable to all applicants to all medical schools and we believe the program is useful.
We give students exposure to as many clinical fields as possible – clinical medicine, obstetrics & gynecology, pediatrics, emergency medicine and critical care, general and orthopedic surgery, E.N.T, ophthalmology and radiology.
Students are taken in rotations that help you attain real life exposure and integrating theoretical knowledge. You will observe the supervising doctors and consultants to enable you draw and understanding of diverse aspects relating to cared of patients such as relevant history taking in various body systems, physical examination, relevant laboratory investigations and their interpretation, arriving at pertinent diagnosis and appropriate treatment measures.
Various procedures in the clinical medicine and pediatric rotations may be viewed, including administrations of various injections, lumbar punctures, insertion of intravenous cannulae, nasogastric intubation, lymph node biopsies, etc. You may observe in various general and orthopedic surgeries.
Within obstetric and gynecology department, you will be permitted to view various procedures, which may include normal deliveries, cesarean sections, tubal ligations and several others. Because we view our programs as not just an internship, we encourage students to avail themselves to activities that will facilitate cultural exchange and appreciation for their host country.
The students will use their hands, mechanical and electrical machines as well as natural elements like heat and cold to assist clients in the alleviation of pain, restoration to good health and enhancement of function. If it is not possible for clients to return to a normal life, physiotherapists assist in their rehabilitation to a full life within the restrictions of their disabilities.
Some of the procedures students will engage in include the following:
- Evaluating the function of the muscular skeletal, nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems.
- Measuring joint range and muscle strength.
- Testing for loss of sensation.
- Evaluating the nature of pain.
- Analyzing patterns of posture and movement.
- Performing tests of lung capacity and electrical tests of nerves and muscles.
- Educating communities in a healthy lifestyle.
- Giving advice on coping with chronic illness.
- The students will have various opportunities since they are at the helm of all patients care activities and also form an integral part of hospital staff. Students will be expected to provide care to the patients in general.
- Student acts as a basic care provider, comforter and healer for the patients. They comfort patients and provide them emotional support in dealing with diseases. Students will need to have an inherent sensitivity & knowledge to deal with issues related to client’s health.
- Student works as a teacher and guides patients in managing treatment process and therapy related to the disease. A student promotes healthy lifestyle and makes the patient aware about various steps that the patient must take to decrease the intensity of pain or the after effects of a disease. In short, nurses interpret medical knowledge to clients in simple and lucid manner so that the patient can comply with various changes he/she has to make in his lifestyle.
- The student will learn how to promote physical health and ease tension of patients and also act as counselors. They will need to provide emotional, psychological and intellectual support in matters related to dealing with diseases.
- As a part of Student duties, will help patient develop positive attitude towards disease so that with good emotional health, the patient can be treated easily. A nurse has to learn to be friends with patients and provide them love and care. Student encourages patients to develop a sense of achievement every time the patients are able to follow some dietary recommendations or exercise schedules. This keeps the patients motivated and they work for the betterment of their health.
- The Premedical Study Program will prepare students for entry into medical, dental, veterinary, or any other health-related graduate programs. The program provides guidance and support for students wishing to pursue these professional programs in future.
- The Pre-med program will help students meet variety of venues. Pamoja International Voluntary Services has secured collaboration with several Government hospitals in Kenya where students can do volunteer work and obtain credits as a Premedical Internship if they desire.
- We also have relationships with a number of community service organizations where students can volunteer and develop the personal skills necessary to work with a wide variety of patients. In addition, the program provides letter of recommendation and guidance with regard to where to apply to medical school.